Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Heartbroken @ Pizza Hut

On Sunday evening after church my mother and I went to pizza hut for a late supper. We were 2 of the four customers in the dining area. The waitress, a 20 something cute girl-was carrying on a conversation with someone across the restaurant. The lady was paying out..

The conversation went a little something like this…

Waitress- Are you still with that one guy?
Paying Out-Oh, yeah-Mike? We got back together- UHHgain.
Waitress- Good, is that his baby you are carrying?
Paying out- Oh- I am not sure.. But it is either his or Jakes, I think.
Waitress-Well good. I am glad things are working out for you guys.
Paying out- Yes, things are okay…

My Mom and I just looked at each other. For one, they didn’t care who heard the conversation and for two, it seemed like they were perfectly fine not knowing who the baby daddy was.. The longer I sat there.. the more saddened I became…

Maybe I didn’t have the right to be sad, maybe I was being judgmental, I don’t know.. but all I know was it made me sad. It made me want to fix all that was wrong in the world. It made me want to reach out and talk to young ladies about self-worth and the importance of not sleeping with whomever you’re with at the time.. It made me wonder was she ever taught these things in the first place.. or did bad choices lead her down a road far from what she knew was right..

I think what broke my heart the most.. was it appeared to be no big deal to either girl. No big deal that a baby was about to be brought into this world..not knowing who the Dad was.. a sweet innocent baby- I am sure it will bring joy-but at the same time heartache. Someone will have to hear.. I am sorry you are not the daddy.. or the girl may have to hear.. I don’t care if I am the dad or not..

And then I had to make myself stop thinking about it.. because, in truth- I will never know and honestly it is probably not for me to know.. but I do know.. that I prayed for that girl. I prayed that she would find the love that she was searching for.. and I prayed for that baby.. that he/she would be surrounded with love.. and I prayed for me.

God please give me a heart for people. Give me wisdom to know who and how to reach out to them. Help me not to pour out judgment on others.. but to pour out your Love..You constant Unfailing- LOVE.

18 comments:

Becky K. said...

It is so true, times have changed and not all for the better. There is a mission field all around us. People to show God's love and plan to.

Becky K.

Mrs. S. said...

I think that it is sad that so many people out there don't know who the father of their child is. It may not matter to them and they may love the child no matter who the father is, which is great, but it is going to matter to that child someday. That child is going to want to know who their father is and I bet that the father would want to know so that he can do the right thing and be there for the baby.
There are things everyday that bring sadness and heartache to our lives, but hopefully there will always be something to make the heart happy and know that there are good people out there that do make good choices.

petrii said...

Your last paragraph reminded me of the Brandon Heath song, "Give Me Your Eyes" I heart that song!!

Oh btw I'm Dawn. Came over from Rebecca's blog. So nice to meet you =)

Have a Blessed day,
Dawn

Rebecca Jo said...

Sadly, I think the world has more of conversations like that then we'd care to imagine... just glad you took the time to surround her & the baby with prayers... We know if anything, this baby has a Heavenly Father who will be looking out for him/her

(Oh - saw my friend Dawn stopped by... love her!)

Jennifer Owens said...

This post didn't sound judgemental. It sounded like it came from a woman who loves others and wants to see justice and beauty in this world we live in - especially for the innocent. I am saddened too by that - I would have felt the same way had I overheard the conversation.

You have such a big heart Becky. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Christy said...

You don't sound judgemental at all, your heart seems to be grieving for GOD's lost lambs, and for the future possible hurt of a child.
Sadly so many give themselves away without a 2nd thought and sadly one day it will come back to haunt them either by a pregnancy like this girls who doesn't know who the daddy is or by regret when she meets the man she's to spend her life with and has given away such a precious gift to another or others.

God Bless and praying for this unknown woman and her baby.

Melissa said...

That makes me sad, and that there are a whole lot of people out there that are like that. All you can do is pray!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can't imagine being that girl - how on earth can she be okay with that?

Courtney said...

It is heartbreaking! My dad works in the NICU at a hospital and the number of single moms has been steadily increasing, and at times it really bothers him. Because, while there are some single moms out there who are a little later on in life and still single who want to have children, there are also young girls out there having babies that they don't want and really can't afford to have (not to mention that the hospital caters to some not-so-nice people, and a lot of the moms are strung out on coke who have more babies just to get bigger welfare checks to buy more coke with and have babies that the hospital has to ween off the drugs before they can be released. The most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen has to be a tinly little baby going through withdrawal.)

There is such a benefit for marriage and raising kids in a loving, stable home. And having babies outside of marriage doesn't hold the same stigma anymore, and sometimes I wonder if that's not such a good thing! That being said, there are totally marriages that children are being raised in that would be better off being single parent kids. It's all really a crap-shoot I guess.

Grand Pooba said...

That didn't sound judgemental to me at all. It amazes me that they would have this conversation out in the open for anyone to hear!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh girl...that post made me cry! I work at an unplanned pregnancy resource center, and we're a Christian organization. I see girls like that a lot, and you just want to sit down with every one of them and tell them that God loves them! Of course, they're not all ready to hear that and take it in, but it just breaks my heart!

I came to your blog to comment about the Morgans and that no, I haven't seen it yet! But man, that post just grabbed me!

Q, La, and Gooner said...

That is so sad! While I was pregnant someone actually asked me if I knew who the father was, um yes, my husband! But, I think that type of thing is happening more and more...

Christy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today, I don't update that one heardly at all, the one I write on regularly is "My Gifts, Among Other Things"....

God Bless

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

That's really sad. :(

I've missed your posts! I'm glad you're back!

Courtney Cox said...

That is terribly sad. I was just posted a message on a blog yesterday about how sad it is people get pregnant and don't want to be preganat or care about the baby while, there are couples out there despertly trying for babies and families. Sad World!

Fancy Pants said...

Hi Becky! You have a great blog. Thanks for stopping by :)

Blair @ Reasonably Swanky said...

I just came across your blog, very cute!

xo
Blair

Lori said...

What a sad story... I hope the unborn child will be raised properly.. It's tuff with two parnets let alone just one, and not knowing who the father is....

On a happier note Thanks for following me... come by often..